Saturday, June 20, 2009

wisdom from my twenties


After not seeing or talking to my friend Marc in 5 years, he came to Austin the long way from New York and arrived on Tuesday. He reminded me of things I hadn't thought about or laughed about in years and of things I'd completely forgotten. He left early Saturday morning on his motorcycle headed for California the long way.

Marc 
     By the pool at Hotel St. Cecilia 
I woke up early to say good-bye, then spent the next several hours reading old journals from St. John where I met Marc in 2003. Among the wreckage of memories I discovered a few scraps of hotel paper on which I once scratched this sage advice, apparently to my future self, in pencil, sometime in my late twenties. I hope I look back on my thirties and surprise myself with wisdom I didn't know I had.


  • The future is uncertain; you can't count on it, go with the flow.
  • Trust yourself more than you trust anyone else.
  • Getting lost just means finding something new.
  • Don't freak out about money. Take care of your finances but don't worry about money; you can't take it with you when you go.
  • Be proud of your accomplishments, even really small ones.
  • Don't be scared of anything. You are strong and brave.
  • Don't worry about what other people think. Never change yourself for anyone. Stand tall and proud.
  • So what if you're awkward or dorky or shy.
  • If someone doesn't like you the way you are, Fuck them! You don't need them in your life.
  • Don't misinterpret emotions.
  • There is no room for embarrassment, shame, guilt or worry.
  • Stop judging people; you don't know them.
  • Avoid gossip.
  • Laugh for all you're worth, whenever you can. Laugh & laugh & laugh. It will keep you alive and heal your heart and soul.
  • Don't be afraid to cry. Let it out. Keeping sadness inside will make you sick.
  • Do things in nature, it makes you feel better.
  • Exercise, Breath, Learn...

No comments: